Transparency and effectiveness determine an institution’s success. Establishing appropriate organizational structure with monitoring and controlling mechanism, implementation strategies, transparency and accountability in performing duties and responsibilities, increasing productivity, long term view and sustainability are the characteristics of a good functioning institution. Board of Trustees (BoT) effective element of modern institution and its role is getting important day by day.
There are two main reasons behind establishing BoT: one is participation and another is transparency. Usually BoTs are people with higher social prestige so they can play effective role in non-profit organizations in securing participation and attracting investments and public support. In other words, a reliable and unbiased oversight of a boy called BoT will indispensably increase effectiveness and transparency of an institution and facilitate processes in the organization. Avicenna University as a non-profit institution is proud for having a prestigious BoT having their support and established the foundation of public participation.
Article 13th of Avicenna University defined BoT as the highest body for leadership and decision making for the university. BoT has 15 members as following:
- Six lecturers of higher education institutions either current or retired who are selected for a duration of four years by the Academic Council.
- Two persons from Board of Founders who are selected by the Board of Founders for a duration of four years.
- Seven persons from academe, cultural, political and economic society who are selected by the Board of Founders for duration of three years.
Based on the paragraphs 4-7 of article 13 explained that chair of the board will be selected in the first meeting of the board for duration of three years and secretary of the board will be selected for duration of four years. Chancellor of the university will attend board meetings as non-voting member of the board representing academic council of the university.
Avicenna University is happy that in a short period of time, counted as one of the best among all the private higher education institutions in the country, established master degree, increased courses and faculties, established publication and research center as well as introducing a board of trustees for the university.
Based on this article, BoT members are selected through board of founders and academic council in three categories. The following reputable and figures are the current member of the board of trustees:
- Sarwar Danish (Former minister of Justice and Higher Education, Former Chief of Judicial and Justice Board of the President and current vice president of Afghanistan.
- Mohammad Younes Qanoni (Former vice president of Afghanistan and a political figure)
- Hamidulla Farooqi (Academic figure and Chancellor of Kabul University)
- Sima Samar (Chair of Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission, Minister of Human Rights Affairs, political activist)
- Enayatulla Qasimi (Academic and Cultural figure)
- Sharifulla Ibrahimi (Deputy chief of Islamic Bank)
- Abdulla Shafaee (Academic Figure, member of independent Commission of Overseeing Afghanistan Constitution and member of Academe of Avicenna University)
- Gholam Haidar Allama (Academic figure, Deputy of Attorney General Office and member of Academe of AU)
- Mohammad Sadiq Dehqan (academic figure and member of AU Academe)
- Masoma Erfani (academic figure and member of AU Academe)
- Engineer Hussain Rezaee (academic figure and member of AU Academe)
Two members from board of founders as its representatives in BoT are the following:
- Abdulla Shafaee (Academic Figure, member of independent Commission of Overseeing Afghanistan Constitution and member of Academe of Avicenna University).
- Gholam Haidar Allama (Academic figure, Deputy of Attorney General Office and member of Academe of AU).
BoT second meeting held in July 18, 2019 and elected Mr. Sarwar Danish as the Chair of board for duration of three years and Dr. Abdulla Shafaee as Secretary of the board for duration of four years. BoT has also approved recommendation of Board of Founders in appointing Dr. Amin Ahmadi as the chancellor of the university for duration of three years. BoT will meet based on the needs of the university and perform its duties explained in the article 14th of the constitution. The board responsibility is to approve teaching and administrative by-laws and guidelines, evaluation and approval of development plans, approval of annual budget, monitoring financial systems and transactions, change and approval of organizational structure and tashkil, attracting financial support and investments.