Board of Trustees; for transparency & democratizing
Success of an organization in interrelated to its transparency and efficiency. Establishment of an appropriate and useful administrative structure is achievable via principles of administration and institutional knowledge. Creation of applicable instruments of control and supervision, administrative procedures, transparency in their fulfillment, increasing efficiency, and stable and reliable perspective are characteristics of a good administration.
Board of trustees is one of the pillars and elements of a modern management whose efficient role in improvement of administrative statues is increasing day by day.
There are two visions for the philosophy of having board of trustees: cooperation and transparency. Members of trustee board, who are from dignified and prestigious groups in society, can play a significant role in public cooperation and finding supports and funds in non-profit institutes. In addition to that, legal supervision of a reliable and impartial component such as board of trustees undoubtedly provides administrative efficiency and transparency and facilitates flows of the affairs. Avicenna University is honorable to internalize public cooperation in its University by implementation the concept of Board of Trustees.
According to Article 13 of Avicenna University Statute, “Board of Trustees is the highest leading and decision making authority in University-related grand affairs”. Board of Trustees has 15 members as follows:
- Six employed or retired lecturers from Institutes of Higher Education selected by Members of Academic Council for the period of four years.
- Two members from Board of Founders selected by the Board itself for the period of four years.
- Seven members from academic, political, and economic characters selected by Board of Founders for the period of four years. Paragraphs four to seven of this Article also stipulate that in the first session of the Board of Trustees, the Chief of this board for three years and Secretary of Board of Trustees for four years shall be appointed. It should be also decided that the Chancellor of University can take part in the meeting s of Board of Trustees as a supervising member represented from Academic Council. Avicenna University is pleased to announce that after years of successful academic activities, being one of the high ranking among other private universities, establishment of Master Degree Program, increasing the number of Faculties in different fields, establishment of Studies and Research Center as well a Publication Center, this University has been successful in implementing Article 13 of University Statute by establishing and introducing Board of Trustees.
According to Article 13 of Avicenna Statute, this Board shall be formed in three categories selected by two authorities (Board of Founders and Academic Council).
The academic, cultural and political characters that have been selected by Board of Founders are as follows:
- Sarvar Danish, the former Minister of Justice and Higher Education, the former Director of legal and Judicial Board of Presidency, The second Vice President of Afghanistan.
- Doctor Sima Samar, the Chairperson of the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC), political activist and charity advocate.
- Nabi Khalili, the owner of Ghulghula Construction Company, an influential social person, businessman, economic entrepreneur.
- Naurooz Ali Hamza prominent social person, businessman, economic entrepreneur.
- Mohammad Nasir Ahmadi, influential social and economic person, Chief of Omran Holding Group Company.
- Shirbaz Hakimi, a prominat social person, President of Aga Khan Council in Kabul
The six working or retired lecturers from Institute of Higher Education selected by Academic Council are as follows:
- Malistani, prominent Academic person and a lecturer in Ta’lim va Tarbiyat University
- Ghafoori, major academic person and a lecturer in Kabul University
- Ahmad Salehi, prominent academic person and a member of Engineering Faculty of Avicenna University
- Alireza Rouhani, prominent academic person and member of Electoral Complaints Commission, a member of Law Faculty of Avicenna University
- Mohammad Amir Noori, an influential academic person and a member of Economics Faculty of Avicenna University
- Sayyed Masouda, a prominent academic person and a lecturer in Economics Faculty of Kabul University
The two members of Board of Founders who represent their board in the Board of Trustees are as follows:
- Ishagh Alavi, Monetary Policy Advisor of Central Bank of Afghanistan and a representative of Board of Founders of Avicenna University.
- Mozaffar Khavari : representative of Board of Founders of Avicenna University.
According to the first formal meeting of Board of Trustees on July 7th, 2013, Mr. Danish has been appointed as the Head of this Board for the period of three years and Mr. Khavari was assigned as the secretary of the Board for the period of four years by the Board.
According to Board of Founders and Board of Trustees’, Dr. Mohammad Amin Ahmadi has been unanimously selected and assigned as the Chancellor of Avicenna University for three years.
The Board of Trustees will hold a session whenever necessary and according to Article 14 of the Avicenna Statute, the members will fulfill their duties.
Based on the different paragraphs of this Article, ratification and confirmation of administrative and educational acts, assessment, confirmation and enactment of developmental plans, determination of the annual budget, organization of structuring and conforming a transparent and efficient financial mechanism, confirmation of changes in institutional structure, seeking fund and support are among the most important duties and competencies of the Board of Trustees.